Saturday, February 13, 2010

Gaze Behind Me


The next several posts are just a collection of thoughts I wrote two or three months ago - which is why some of them will be referring to Christmas, and past events. Anyway. Wasn't really sure what format to put this in, but this will work:

Tonight I turn my face
Toward my wall, to think
In an evil-filled world
Surrounded by the cover of dark
I let my mind wander back
To my childhood,
A time when long-division
Was considered a demon

I let my mind lead me
Back to our forty acre ranch,
On those rolling, beautiful plains
And I lament the going of
Such simplistic days

Running through the fields
With the dog,
Cuddling new kittens,
mowing lawns,
Planting trees,
Throwing the cattle bales

Of the summer days
When we swam in a cow trough,
Electrified voles,
Stacked firewood

Yesterday, I was “home” again
For the first time in months
And I experienced a bittersweet realization

I love the plains,
The setting sun, and my old place
I hated living there,
But could not imagine anything else

Yesterday I looked at our unfinished driveway –
The one that leads to nowhere
I remembered going out there and writing
For hours some summer day

Those writings sit in a book
Filled with a story
Of hope after hope,
and shattered dream after dream

That driveway represents to me
All that never will be,
All the dreams made impossible

Tonight I turn my head toward the wall.
And like so many nights
Of the past three years,
Silent tears stain my face –
As I wonder if, like Anne of Green Gables said
“my life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes”

I asked myself
If I could have changed the last three years,
Would I?

Parts, yes, but other parts, no
God has something to teach me,
And if it takes one more broken dream,
So be it

I have changed internally
More than I ever thought possible
In the last three years,
And inside, I am no 17 year old girl

But I am one who is waiting
For the laughter of mourning
The Piper calls, and some do not return,
But answer, always answer

So a silent tear slips down this face,
And I wonder if all heartbreak is forever
But then I wonder if there was none,
What would I be

Such a confusing mess of thoughts
But the Piper calls,
And who will follow?

I’m waiting,
Like for rain in a drought,
I’m waiting for a reason

Waiting, just waiting
To feel beautiful again
Waiting to dance in the rain
Let it pour

I’m ready



SarahLydia

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Oops. My comments somehow were staggered. The comment on the next post goes on this one, and the on your "truth" post goes on the next one.